Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July

As is our tradition, we spend the 4th of July weekend at the Lake. It was a beautiful weekend, in the 80s, and Dom enjoyed some time away from the projects at the house, so he could fish and read and relax. The morning of the 4th Dominic, mom, grandma and I attended a picnic that started with my great great grandparents, the Edwards, who first came over from Norway in the early 1900's. My great grandparents started meeting on the 4th of July back in 1910 on Vashon Island, and they would meet every year. This tradition of the Edwards descendants meeting has continued now for almost 100 years! It is so neat to talk to cousins that I don't see very often and meet new ones. My mom is very good a researching family history and has written one book (soon to be two!) on our Norwegian ancestry and other family stories and I love it!!
Four generations of Norwegians!
After the picnic, we drove back up to the lake for another barbecue with more family! I love family time!! My cousin Allison and her husband Chas and 3 kids (soon 4, she is due any day) came up, along with her parents, Dennis and Nancy, and cousin Nil and Helen. We really enjoy spending time with them when we are at the lake. We built a campfire on the beach and roasted marshmallows and later made smores while we watched the fireworks over the lake. The lake doesn't have anything organized in terms of fireworks, but in the bay where our cabin is situated, the lots on either side of us spend over $5000 (at least!) on fireworks every year. The show is really spectacular!
Cousins
Roasting hotdogs over the fire in the late afternoon
My cake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment