Thursday, June 18, 2009

His first meal

It's official. He had his first solid food this week. He eats 1 TBSP once a day of Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Rice Cereal mixed with breast milk. He did alright, it was more watery than solid, so it wasn't too foreign in his mouth. He liked the spoon and would grab it when he could and shove it in his mouth. It was pretty cute! I am sentiment and had him eat his first bite with my baby spoon! It was all metal though, so after the first two bites I switched to a Gerber one that has a plastic spoon.
Dominic will eat only Rice Cereal for the first two weeks (only 1 meal a day for the first week and then 2 a day the second, and still nursing 6 times a day) and then I will gradually introduce new foods. I was planning on making the rice cereal myself, but would have to give him iron supplements which would stain his future teeth yellow, so instead I settled on an organic whole grain rice cereal with iron. We are not an organic family, and usually buy what's chepeast, but when it comes to Dominic's food for the first few years of life, I feel that it is really important to know what exactly is going into his food, eliminating preservatives and other things by making it myself. And it's fun!! And thanks to my fabulous mother in law, I will be making Dominic's baby food with a Williams Sonoma Beaba Babycooker food processor which makes the process so much easier!!

Getting ready for the first bite.
Thanks for the bib, bowl and spoon uncle Damon!
The first bite with my baby spoon :)"This stuff tastes funny"
He tried feeding himself several times!

And here's the video we took of his first meal. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! You gotta have those "first time eating food" pics! But Annie... you might want to start rolling those sleeves of yours up.. its gonna get messier before it gets easier! HeeHee!! :)

    You are doing such a good job, mommy!!


    xoxo

    ReplyDelete