Sunday, June 14, 2009

Our future musician

Dom and I have talked about wanting our children (we want more!!) to learn a musical instrument. I played violin for 2 years and then gave that up so I could focus more on the piano. I am so thankful that my parents paid for and had me put in the hours and hours of practicing that I did. It was so worth it, and now I can teach it and play just about any song that I want!
I started piano lessons at 8 years old and took classical lessons 10 years. In Canada (I lived there from age 3-18) they have a program called The Royal Conservatory of Music which I went through 8 levels (of 10 total). At level 8 you have taken the necessary skills in theory and lessons to be qualified to teach. Every year (sometimes every other) I would test (going before an adjudicator) to qualify for the next level. It was scary, playing scales, arpeggios, sight reading, and playing memorized songs (3-5) before a judge. I always did fine, the hours of practicing paid off, but it was nerve wracking nonetheless!
In college I was just short a few credits from getting a music minor. I took 1st year music theory (one of the hardest classes I have ever taken...harder than french!), and one of the only things standing in the way of my minor was thousands of dollars (an extra semester!) and a mini recital! I didn't want to go in debt for it since I made it through undergraduate school without student loans (it was grad school that I had to take out loans for) :( . But I also didn't want to have to do a recital. I hated going to recitals growing up, and the last thing I wanted to have to do was give my own recital! I don't regret not getting the music minor (mainly because of the money) and I can still teach and play piano anytime I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment